Squash and Apple Soup




Click here for recipe!

This squash and apple soup is the third recipe I've made from the Everyday Food cookbook. It was made with butternut squash, green apples, and onion.  I had to improvise because I couldn't find the exact ingredients that it asked for.  The recipe asked for squash purée or homemade squash purée using acorn squash.  I only found butternut squash at Aldi. And I really didn't want to shop anywhere else so I got butternut squash.  Another ingredient i had difficulty finding was unsweetened apple cider so I got reqular fresh-pressed apple cider. It was good for drinking!

The actual cooking experience was also quite an adventure. I started by roasting the butternut squash, it smelled beautiful.  Then I puréed it but I didn't come up with enough purée for the recipe so I had to improvise again. I added leftover canned pumpkin that I had in the freezer. Also, since I had sweet apple cider and the recipe asked for unsweetened in the recipe I added just half the cider it requested in the recipe and replaced the other half with water.

As I cooked the soup and it simmered I started to worry. The combination of ingredients didn't sound too good to me. Squash, apples, sweet apple cider and onions??

Hmmm...

Sure enough when I test-tasted it I was filled with more worry. Like, what have I done? I destroyed this beautiful butternut squash. Haha!

I was so convinced the soup was missing bacon. But I never have any bacon. And also, the bits on onion and apples was not so pleasant so I puréed the soup. But still, I couldn't figure out how to actually enjoy it.  I tried adding sour cream, half and half, cheese. Help!

Finally I added dried sage to it and hallelujah that was it! Sage was the missing ingredient in this soup! Sage! I love you sage!

Anyway, I don't know if it was the recipe or if my improvising was the reason this soup turned out the way it did. But thankfully the sage saved it. Once I added sage and puréed it, it tasted so much better!



Click here for the recipe!

Please subscribe to my blog on top of the page!
Follow me on Instagram!
Follow me on my personal Instagram!
Follow my Facebook page.



Comments

Popular Posts